Who is eligible for post secondary funding?
Answer: ONLY a registered Six Nations member with a valid status card can apply.  If you are a registered Six Nations member and you have met the entrance requirements for and been enrolled in or accepted for enrollment in an eligible post secondary program then you can apply for post secondary education assistance through the Grand River Post Secondary Education Office. Questions about membership can be directed to the Six Nations membership office at (519) 445-4613.            

Can I apply for funding without a letter of acceptance or without confirmed registration from a College or University?
AnswerYes - you do not have to wait for these items. Your information can always be changed on your application if it is different than when your application was completed.            

When can an applicant expect to hear whether their application for post secondary funding has been approved?
Answer: Given the volume of applications to process, it takes at least three weeks to process an application once the processing starts for completed applications in a particular priority.

 Application Processing Schedule "Subject to availability of funds"

  Winter 2024
Summer 2024
Fall 2024
Winter 2025
Resid 1
NEW Resid 2
Resid 1
NEW Resid 2
Resid 1
NEW Resid 2
Resid 1
NEW Resid 2
 Priorities 1 to 3
Oct. 13
Nov. 03
Feb. 2

Apr. 12
June 14
Oct. 11
Nov. 1
 Priority 4
Oct. 20 Nov. 10 Feb. 9

May 10
June 21
Oct. 18 Nov. 08
 Priority 5 to 7
Oct. 27
Nov. 17

May 31 July 05
Oct. 25 Nov. 15

The GRPSEO’s Application Approval Processing Schedule for 2024/2025 provides the earliest date that an eligible application can be recommended to the Director for approval. Note that applications are processed by priority for each intake. There is limited processing for summer and winter applications due to limited availability of funding. All applicants are encouraged to seek an alternate source of funding (such as OSAP, Dreamcatcher or Indspire) to assist with the expenses of going to school.            

An application can be recommended if:
(1) the application was received by the application deadline date, 
(2) required documents were received by the application approval processing date,  
(3) the applicant is otherwise eligible, and 
(4) there are sufficient funds for the application priority.  

Post Secondary Funding Advisors review all applications and assign a processing priority. This priority is printed on the Checklist of Required Documentation that is sent to the applicant by their Funding Advisor.  

Example: You have submitted an application for Fall 2024 funding and your priority is a 4b (Residency 2). You have sent in all the required documents to GRPSEO including an acceptance letter from the school you will be attending. It is now April 1, 2024.  Your application will not be processed for funding until June 21, 2024. This is the earliest date that you can expect to be notified whether your application for funding can be approved. You must decide whether to accept the offer of admission and send in a deposit to hold your seat or wait to hear about your funding application. If you have any questions please call the GRPSEO and speak to your Funding Advisor.

Who am I supposed to contact if I have questions?
Answer: This depends on the purpose of your contact. The receptionist at the GRPSEO can direct you to the right person. When in doubt, contact your Funding Advisor. Your Funding Advisor's name is on your approved application for assistance form.

I've been approved for post secondary funding, now what?
Answer: You will receive a copy of the approved application by e-mail along with a copy of the sponsorship letter that is sent to your post secondary institution. It is your responsibility to register with the post secondary institution. Remember to check with your post secondary institution for specific dates and deadlines. If you stay in residence, you must let your Funding Advisor know prior to your first month's education allowance being released. Be aware of your institution's deadlines for residence.  

What is Full Time?
Answer: The GRPSEO’s requirements to qualify as a full time student depend on your level of study as outlined in the following 4 levels:
Level 1 (college diploma): Registered full time by the institution and taking a minimum of 12 hours of inclass/labs instruction per week per academic semester for the program registered in (tutorials do not count as part of the 12 hours per week). This course load must be carried throughout the semester.
Level 2 (undergraduate university degree): Registered full time by the institution and minimum enrolment of 12 credits, or 2.0 credits per semester (courses typically are equivalent to 3.0 credits each or 0.5 (half) credit each) at the beginning of a regularly scheduled and required academic semester for the program registered in.
Level 3 (master degree): as defined by the post-secondary institution.
Level 4 (doctoral degree): as defined by the post-secondary institution. 

When will my monthly education allowance be deposited?
Answer: If you have been approved for a monthly education allowance it is directly deposited to your bank account by the first of each month.  Any problems with your file at the GRPSEO may result in the deposit being delayed.  Keep in touch with your Funding Advisor to make sure everything is okay.         

Detailed tuition fee information.  What is it?
Answer: The detailed tuition fee information is a statement/listing which shows what fees are included in your tuition amount.  (ie:) Health and dental plan, association fees and activity fees etc. Your detailed tuition fee information will have your name/student number on the statement.  This can be obtained through your student account on your school website.  Your detailed tuition fee information is due October 1st for fall and February 1st for winter.  This statement is required to pay your tuition invoice.         

How do I opt-out of a health insurance plan, and where can I access information on the non-insured health benefits?
Answer: Only mandatory tuition and mandatory student fees are covered in approved tuition assistance through GRPSEO.  Avoid charges for optional student fees by opting out at the start of the semester.  Check with your institution on how to opt out, when fees are applied and the deadline for opting out.
First Nations and Inuit Health Branch works with First Nations and Inuit communities, other Health Canada branches, and federal government departments to provide health programs and services.  The Non-Insured Health Benefits Program (NIHB) provides a range of health related goods and services to eligible beneficiaries who are status Indians, recognized Inuit and recognized Innu people in Canada. The NIHB Program offers specific health related benefits not provided by other agencies such as provincial and territorial health plans or other third party plans. These benefits include vision and dental care, medical transportation, drugs, medical supplies and equipment and others.  Visit here to access more information.

May I receive an advance on my education allowance?
Answer: No. There are deadlines and procedures in place for receiving monthly education allowance.

May I receive more book money?
Answer: No. There are limitations for book and supply assistance.

May I change academic programs if I already started one?
Answer: You need to be aware of deadlines and procedures for both the college or university as well as Grand River Post Secondary Education Office. Speak with your Funding Advisor before you decide to change academic programs.

How often should I have contact with my Funding Advisor?
Answer: You should have direct contact a minimum of once per semester. Full time students will have either direct or indirect contact with Funding Advisor at least eight times per year i.e.

  • To complete an application for education assistance before the next application deadline.
  • To review progress to date, share successes and concerns.
  • To discuss marks, progress reports, transcripts.
  • To submit required documentation.
  • To confirm that all required documentation has been submitted to maintain eligibility for education assistance.
  • To discuss your education plan.
**Contact can be made with your Funding Advisor in several ways. For example by telephone; by mail; and through e-mail.

Is an appointment required to meet with my Funding Advisor?
Answer: An appointment is preferred to ensure your Funding Advisor is available when you arrive. 

Overpayment? How do I clear this up so that I can receive funding again?
Once notified of an overpayment by the "Overpayment Report," contact GRPSEO to make arrangements about your payment. If you are able to pay the overpayment in full then a 15% discount will apply for tuition only.             

I plan to attend post secondary at an institution outside of Ontario, is there any difference in the funding I will receive?
Answer: The amount of assistance has limitations in place. It is based on the mandatory tuition rate in a public post secondary institution in Canada for the same program. If a student attends a private or out of country institution and the tuition costs are higher than this then the outstanding tuition balance is the student’s responsibility. Assistance for accredited private and out of country institutions is available for one level of study only.  

Residency Categories-FAQs

 *Students must have maintained their Permanent Home Residence address for a full 12 months prior to the start of the application academic period for which they have applied for Education Assistance.

*PLEASE NOTE: A Post Office Box will not be acceptable as your permanent home address. You must be able to provide a physical home address or your application will not be processed.

Does this mean that off-reserve students outside the 100 km radius of Six Nations of the Grand River are not eligible for funding now?
Answer: No it does not. All Six Nations Band members are still eligible for funding under the new policy.

I live in the United States but my address is within the 100 km from the hub of Six Nations (1670 Chiefswood Rd, Ohsweken Ontario), will I be eligible for Residency 1?
Answer: Yes.

How will the 100 km radius be calculated? 
Answer: The 100 km has already been pre-defined as seen on the map below and will be determined using  https://www.google.ca/maps using the point of origin as 1670 Chiefswood Rd, Ohsweken, Ontario.  (This is the North-West corner of Chiefswood Rd and Fourth Line Rd in Ohsweken, Ontario). Enter starting location as 1670 Chiefswood Rd, Ohsweken, Ontario and enter student address, right click to measure distance (as the crow flies). 


We will then locate your permanent home address (provided on your application and verified  by your submitted required documentation) on the radius map above to determine your  Residency category as a 1 (within the 100km) or a 2 (outside of the 100km). 

How will you verify my permanent home address?
Answer: Each student is required to submit documentation which will verify the permanent home address you input on your application form.

What are the documents accepted by GRPSEO as verification of permanent home address?
Answer: The GRPSEO will accept the following documents to verify your permanent home address:

    • Driver’s Licence
    • Documentation from your chosen institution which shows your permanent home address (i.e. Letter of acceptance, enrollment letter or tuition fee statement)
    • An official copy of your college or university application which shows your permanent home address.
    • A notarized letter verifying your permanent home address.
    • Any other form of documentation must be approved by the Director of GRPSEO.

If I am in the Residency 2 category, when can I expect to be notified of funding?
Answer: See Application Processing Schedule above.  

What other sources of funding are available?
Answer: Please see Other Sources of Funding on our website.